Are you concerned someone you love has a gambling problem? While there are no hard and fast rules, here are a few clues to look for:
- is your loved one secretive about where they’ve been spending time?
- are they secretive about their finances?
- do they collect the mail and prevent you from seeing bills?
- have you noticed money missing from shared accounts, or elsewhere?
- do they sometimes ask to borrow money and can’t give a good reason as to why?
If this sounds familiar, it might be time to start a conversation and offer support, but you don’t have to do it on your own.
Call Gambling Help NSW for free and confidential counselling on 1800 858 858 and download ‘Problem Gambling: A Guide for Family and Friends’ which will give you practical advice on how to help yourself and your loved one.