Responsible Gambling Grants
2019 Responsible Gambling Grants Programs
In January 2019 the Office of Responsible Gambling opened two grants programs. Up to $2.5 million from the Responsible Gambling Fund was made available for innovative projects that prevent and reduce gambling harm in communities across NSW.
Prevention, Innovation & Technology Grants 2019 Funding
Support was offered for one-off unique projects in the areas of technology, prevention and harm minimisation.
We sought projects undertaken by experts from a variety of disciplines to ensure that technology is leveraged to most effectively deliver responsible gambling education, services and outcomes.
Applicants were able to apply for small grants (up to $100,000) or larger grants (up to $400,000) to:
- develop products that can be used by consumers, for example apps or online tools that help consumers make informed choices
- use immersive technology and virtual reality to develop materials that can be used in schools to deliver education and awareness, or demonstrate responsible gambling practices
- deliver gambling harm minimisation messaging in innovative ways
- integrate existing tools and triage systems in health and welfare settings to include or enhance gambling screening
- increase quality interactions between gambling venue staff members and customers in the domains of harm minimisation, referral to gambling help, and education and awareness.
More information is available in the program guide: Prevention, Innovation & Technology Grants 2019 Program Guide.
Out of round proposals
There are currently no grant rounds open. However proposals may be accepted between rounds if there is a timing or business imperative that warrants consideration. To gain access to the submission portal for an out of round proposal, applicants will need to contact us to discuss the submission.
For a submission to be accepted and considered for funding ‘out of round’, the proposal also needs to address the following criteria in addition to the standard eligibility criteria:
- evidence of a new opportunity the project will capitalise on or the timeliness of an issue the project aims to address.
- the impact of opportunity loss and increased risks to success if the proposal was delayed to the next available funding round.
- the project is unique and based on genuinely innovative ideas that are unlikely to be replicated elsewhere.
More information is available in the Prevention, Innovation and Technology Grants Funding Submission Guide.
Research Grants 2019 Funding
Support was offered for research proposals that provide the evidence base for responsible gambling policy, interventions and programs. We sought projects that advance the research priorities outlined in the Strategic Plan 2018-2021..
Applications from a diverse range of disciplines, fields and contexts were sought, to ensure issues are explored from a range of perspectives.
Applicants were able to apply for small grants (up to $30,000) or larger grants (up to $350,000) that address the priority research areas for the Responsible Gambling Fund:
- long term efficacy and effectiveness of treatments
- what works in prevention and harm minimisation
- emerging technologies and new trends
- minimising undue regulatory burden on responsible gambling operators and consumers
- attitudes and behaviours towards gambling in vulnerable or target groups
- gambling prevalence and understanding and measuring harm
- support for policy development and regulatory effectiveness.
More information is available in the program guide: Research Grants 2019 Program Guide.
2019 Funding Recipients