Odds on Youth capacity building program
Odds on Youth, is a capacity building program for youth organisation to reduce gambling harm among young people who access their services.
The program involves three stages:
- A one day gambling harm education workshop to increase the knowledge and skills of youth workers to address gambling harm.
- A one day engagement with a Gambling Help counselling service and a gambling operator.
- Funding of up to $60,000 for the participating youth organisations to implement their own gambling harm prevention intervention for young people who access their services.
The workshop and engagement will take place on 2 and 3 September 2019, and is open to youth organisations in the Inner West of Sydney. For more information please contact us.
Talking with Teens program
This program was aimed at engaging young people in the years immediately before and after leaving school and had a preventative focus to equip young people to make sensible choices as they become more exposed to gambling.
Early intervention was provided through education, awareness and support from parents, teachers, carers and role models to encourage young people to make informed choices about gambling and to be aware of support services if they were to develop issues with their gambling.
The program was delivered through videos, Facebook and email, supported by lesson plans, workshops and seminars delivered at TAFE, Universities and to school counsellors.
A Talking with Teens about Gambling Video Series was also developed to encourage young people to make informed decisions about gambling. Topics covered tipping and the odds of gambling. You can access each of the videos by clicking the links below.
- Part 1: Make me Feel Good
- Part 2: Man-Flirt
- Part 3: Tip This
- Part 4: Show me the glamour
- Part 5: Can you bank on it?
- Part 6: Never seen a loser..
- Part 7: Re Take
- Part 8: Scratch This
- Part 9: Get off my phone
- Part 10: Smart means wins?
- Part 11: The odds are what?
Resources for young people
These resources can support conversations with young people about gambling:
- Lesson plans for the crossroads program. Read the ‘What you need to know’ factsheet before accessing the lesson plans.
- A Talking to Teens about Gambling guide for parents and carers.
- The ‘Don’t Bet on It’ series:
We also have social media assets for ‘Don’t Bet on It’. Please contact us for access to these.